Canadian Colorectal Cancer Consortium
We are pleased to announce that the Terry Fox Research Institute (TFRI) has extended the funding for the Canadian Colorectal Cancer Consortium (C4) from April 1, 2014-September 30, 2017. The TFRI C4 has two main aims. The Screening Axis is being led by Dr. Steven Gallinger of the Lunenfeld-Tanenbaum Research Institute and the University Health Network. The Therapeutic Aim is being led by Dr. Gerald Batist of the Jewish General Hospital in Montreal. The Screening Axis will be housed and operated out of the Zane Cohen Centre for Digestive Diseases at Mount Sinai Hospital.
The TFRI C4 study will provide support for the establishment of a molecular-based approach to translational cancer care that will improve the outcome of colorectal cancer (CRC) patients by:
- Improving the impact of early diagnosis, decreasing mortality and the cost of managing CRC through targeted screening of families stratified by risk (Screening Axis).
- Improving the life expectancy and reducing the cost of the management of advanced CRC through the study of drug resistant metastatic disease and the development of a biomarker panel to predict drug resistance (Therapeutic Axis).
The TFRI C4 will be composed of a multi-institutional network of clinicians, surgeons, pathologists, basic scientists, and other members of the medical community involved in clinical and translational cancer research in Ontario, Quebec, Newfoundland, New Brunswick, Alberta, and British Columbia.
The Screening Axis site specific investigators include:
- Dr. Steven Gallinger, Principal Investigator
- Dr. Robert Gryfe, Dr. Aaron Pollett and Dr. Tae Hart of Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, ON
- Dr. Nancy Baxter and Dr. Cathy Streutker of St. Michael’s Hospital, Toronto, ON
- Dr. Paul Karanicolas and Dr. Eugene Hsieh of Sunnybrook Health Science Centre, Toronto, ON
- Dr. William Foulkes of McGill University Health Centre, Montreal, QC
- Dr. Haili Wang and Dr. Jean Deschenes, Alberta Health Services, Edmonton, AB
- Dr. Patrick Parfrey of Memorial University, St. John’s NL
- Dr. Carl Brown, Providence Healthcare and Dr. David Schaeffer, Vancouver General Hospital, Vancouver BC
For more information please call the TFRI C4 Screening Axis Project Manager, Spring Holter:
T: 416-586-4800 x 2088
Toll-free: 1-877-586-5112 x 5
To contact the study, please click here