Characterization of the Intestinal Microbiome in Patients with and without PSC
Details of Research
Contact: Joanne Stempak, Project Manager
416-586-4800 ext 8399
Primary Investigator: Mark Silverberg, MD
Objective: The objective is to assess the composition of the microbiome in patients with and without PSC, IBD patients without PSC (Ulcerative colitis and colonic Crohn’s disease) and healthy controls.
Expectation: This research may lead to a better understanding of why the disease occurs and what role the gut microbiome and other markers play in PSC and/or IBD.
Eligibility: Anyone who has a confirmed diagnosis of Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis and/or IBD (either Crohn's Disease or Ulcerative Colitis). Also, if you do not have IBD (i.e. Crohn's Disease or Ulcerative colitis) and do not have a family history of IBD and are willing to participate as a healthy control, your help would be greatly appreciated.
- Participation involves:
- Providing us with information regarding your family history and disease specifics
- A small blood sample for research purposes
- Providing us with permission to review your medical information regarding IBD
- Filling in a 4-day food diary prior to your sample collection
- If you are scheduled to have a colonoscopy already as part of your routine clinical care, you may be asked if you're willing to provide tissue biopsies for research purposes during your colonoscopy
- If you are willing, you may be asked to provide a stool sample which can be collected at home
- All study supplies are provided by us.
- You may not have to see any physicians at Mount Sinai Hospital, if you are not already scheduled to have a colonoscopy performed by your physician.
We would like to sincerely thank all of our study participants. This research couldn't be possible without your cooperation.
Please contact Joanne Stempak (phone 416-586-4800 x8399) if you are interested in participating in this study.